Saturday, 27 October 2012

PERSONAL WORK

For the brief I am currently working on for the Design Skills module 'Message and Delivery: Research' I am researching the current US Presidential Election between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney. This started out looking at how the killing of Osama bin Laden may improve Obama's chances for being elected for a second term as the President of the United States. The story was seen in The Metro, on Tuesday 23rd October 2012, and started off my research.

Below is a series of work I developed at the beginning of the year, however it relates perfectly to the project at hand;







This is a series of postcards I created around a brief given over last Christmas for my work submission to Leeds College of Art, before I received an offer for interview. I was given a series of shapes to choose from. I chose a heart, and wanted to look at the other side of Love and the contrast between Love and Hate.

I wanted to express how I feel about the world around us and how everything is dictated largely by culture and religion, especially terrorism. But, as a unit we are all told to love one another and care for one another, and this has been said since the bible was written, and what 'God' leads us to believe. But, my arguement to this is, if we are all meant to live in peace and harmony and love one another, why do we kill each other? Terrorise each other? Take innocent victims lives in major attacks like 9/11, which can put a country and the world to a stand still in disbelieve what some people can do to others. Hence, the post cards above.

This is something I am really passionate about and the text and imagery used, formed of 'hearts' which are visible up close and not at a distance are ironic for the love we have, but don't. I wanted this work to make people think, question, doubt, and it seemed perfect to bring it in with the current news stories I am looking into with the Presidential Election and Terrorism.

No comments:

Post a Comment