Saturday, 17 November 2012

CAMPAIGNS AND LOCATION GUIDE DESIGN

I wanted to introduce the idea of advertising and campaigning throughout my mail shot, with the use of personal pronouns to make the message seem warmer, and less formal than the standard Presidential Policies guides which are available published or online. 

"America what can I do for you?" - is an attempt at grabbing the audience so to speak, with the personal questions and gestures. This insert was designed to show the states Obama will be campaigning in, and debating in over the election so his supporters can go out show their support and loyalty, and spread the word. The back of the insert has been left blank so it can also be used as a postcard, to send friends and family details.


First of all I set up a blank art board to the same dimensions as the envelope, and traced a vector image of the USA. I then needed to fill in the outlines with the individual states so some of them could later be coloured in as needed. I also placed "America what can I do for you?" to right of the drawing, with the text flushed to the left, and arranged in separate statements with an 'appropriate' font. Even though I changed the fonts later on within designing it gave me a good starting point, and reflects the idea of the famous war recruitment poster of Lord Kitchener saying "Your country needs YOU". This is strong, powerful, persuasive and is something I wanted to bring into my designs. 


I began to fill in the states which Obama was visiting throughout the campaign, based on election diaries on Politico and the BBC. I then however decided to change the colour of the state to blue, from red, as this is more appropriate for the democratic party colour, whilst making the text more legible. 



Once the appropriate states were coloured in, I needed to label them with the state codes so to speak. Keeping in with the colour scheme I first used the same font, Lobster, and the same red as the rest of the design, keeping to the continuity desired. This however was not as legible as a lighter colour. I copied the text and pasted it in white on top so when printed it would be the same colour as the stock. I wanted to create a raised feel with the white text, by showing the red underneath as a shadow. 

I wanted to clarify what the insert was telling the audience, so I used the font, Carton, to design a header for the insert; "Campaigns and Debates", and then underneath in Lobster, as used throughout also clarifying that it's informing you of "Dates, Times and Locations". I also inserted a stripped version  of the dashed lines separating the header and sub header. 

For the main headline of the insert, I used the same font Haymaker for "America" as on the envelope, running a theme of highlighting certain key words - "AMERICA", "VOTE OBAMA". I also changed the opacity of the red to 80% for this particular type to add more depth. The text below was enlarged and flushed to the right opposed to the left, filling in the negative space more and creating more balance within the design. The address lines are also used here to emphasise "YOU?"




This is a close up of the white and red type used for labelling the states. I think it looks illustrative and eye catching, whilst standing out from the blue background.

Final Design Before Print:


Cream background mock up.



Close up of states, dashed features within the states, and close up detail of the font used for "America"

Part 2:


For the second part of the Campaign and Location Guide, I wanted to design a mini calendar insert showing his appearances by state, showing date, location and time. Due to the size restrictions it wasn't viable to list every appearance by date. I therefore decided to use the previous design as a key to the calendar. The insert is split in two - October and December, and each state visited is represented by the vector. Appearance information is to the right. 

This idea of design is simple and allows readers to find appearances near them quickly and efficiently, opposed to reading down a list. 

The same design features have also been carried across.


Final Design before Print:





No comments:

Post a Comment