Wednesday, 13 March 2013

10 THINGS PUBLICATION DEVELOPMENT (BEFORE & AFTER DESIGN REVISION)

For the 10 Things publication, I began by constructing my own paper size. I stared this by using the fibonacci sequence. To do so I started using 1 x 3 and followed the same method as in my previous blog posts, regarding this sequence. Once I was happy with the fibonacci sequence drawn up below, I chose one section to use for my paper size. This is shown below.



I duplicated the rectangle on another art board on illustrator originally to work out dimensions of the paper size. These were worked out using the grid and rulers shown. The dimensions were 10.5x16cm per page. Below is a double page spread with dimensions for paper width and height. I wanted to create my own paper size to show I am able to use grid and layout techniques myself, and come up with a creative layout from doing so. I also felt it would make the publication much more interesting and creative for the reader.


Once I was happy with the dimensions, I used cannons to work out a grid method. This was carried out digitally opposed to hand rendering as done previously in class. This was so this could be initially copied into indesign to work out where my rulers would be placed for the grid.


- - - -

The layout using cannons was copied into indesign, so rulers could be used accurately for the design layout. This can be seen below. 

I think using grids, to form a constructive and creative grid ensures the designers job is structured and simpler once content has been collected ready to apply to the layout. They give order and format which I think is important within any editorial design, whilst guiding the viewer's eye around the page.




Grid ready for layout, after the cannons had been removed from the layout. Additional pages were added as seen below, and the grids were copied on to each one for continuity and structure.


- - - -

I began experimenting with typesetting for the front cover, to get a feel for the aesthetics of the publication I was designing. I wanted to design a clean, minimalistic feel for the publication, making creative use of white space, and only applying the necessary information and visuals to the layout design. Below you can see the initial ideas I came up with and developed for the cover and title page.



The title was applied to the cover using the grid system which had previously been put in place, allowing for the title to fit in perfectly with the gird, being slightly off centre but keeping in line with the following pages.





To keep in line with a minimalist design style, I chose to use the Helvetica typeface as the main choice, throughout the publication. The reason I chose Helvetica was to show the use of different fonts within the family, keeping true to the guide and the section on fonts/typefaces, and keeping it recognisable using a typeface which is synonymous with Graphic Design. 

Each page was to be designed slightly differently, working within the grid layout set up. Numbers for each topic were initially placed on to the grids in a creative layout, leaving room for information to be placed. 




This variation shows the use of the font Pacifico, however I wanted to make the title appear much sharper and bolder, as you can see below, with the use of the font Ribbon.



Body copy was added to each page using the grid structure as a guide for positioning the elements of the double page spread. I tried to keep the design elements to the left or right to allow for a margin on the left hand side. 




For each different point to be made, I wanted to include some form of example to visualise what is being put across to allow for the reader to understand the issue at hand. This is shown above with the text at the bottom stating "do you see what I mean, if you use more than 3 typefaces it can be hard to read" in a vast variety of different fonts.






For this example here, the whole publication is in limited colours, mainly black and white, with a clear example of tints and shades, which are being emphasised for use through the body copy also.


The publication was designed using 2 fonts, Helvetica Neue Ultralight, and Ribbon for headers. To show the difference between a font and a typeface, and how variations can be used opposed to adding additional fonts, I have used varieties of Helvetica Neue for sub headers, and shown the full type family of Helvetica.  







Colour theory diagrams were used also, to show how white and black are made up with additive and summative colours. Complimentary colours were used on the final page to highlight the point. Every page as seen has followed the grid structure set up for every page.

I wasn't very happy with the overall double page spreads created, and after re reading the brief I realised I needed to have 1 DPS per point being highlighted. 

I decided to re design my publication and DPS', using the same grid structure and content but re thinking the layout and typefaces, to give a less clinical look.

- - - -








- - -

Below are the completed double page spreads for the '10 things' publication. The design has been kept mostly monochromatic, and simple in layout and grid. The grid/layout and paper size are the same as the original publication design as above. Two fonts, Brain Flower and Helvetica Neue have been used keeping a hand drawn, simple, sketchy approach have been used. 



I tried to use arrows consistently to highlight key facts and points of information. I added in drawings and diagrams, such as the grids shown above to emphasise the point being made. This is the same throughout, as can be seen below with the use of different typefaces.




Shades, tints, CMYK and RGB colours have been shown here in 100% form to show the true colour when printed against the monochromatic page.








I was really happy with the overall look of the publication which I had re designed. The simplicity of the designs keeps the minimalistic look which is trying to be perceived. The colour theory diagrams have been shown opposed to a colour wheel to try and simplify and thoroughly explain the differences between different primaries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment