Tuesday, 16 April 2013

KINFOLK; GRIDS AND LAYOUT DEVELOPMENT

After finding Kinfolk magazine extremely inspirational, I decided to unpick their grid system to get a feel for layout ideas. 

I found that their grid system often varies from page to page, however they are all similar in terms of content and minimalism. Usually their grid system is in rows/columns of 2, 3 or 4. 

These would be easily adaptable for my publication. 














From analysing the grid structure above, and from researching into bakery cookbooks, their standard aesthetic and layout,  I developed a series of layout ideas, some of which I am hoping to put into use. I tried to keep them very simple in terms of structure, to keep in line with the usual aesthetic structure of cookery books.





I am happy with the minimal aesthetic of the layouts, and will narrow down a selection to be further improved and used for my publication.

I then looked at the grid structure of cookery books. From my research they all have a very standard format; photograph on the left or right, ingredients list down one side on the other page, next to the instructions.

They all follow simple, basic layouts which are reflected in my thumbnails above which have been influenced by a combination of resources that have been mentioned.





13 comments:

  1. It's GREAT!
    Unpick grid system really helpful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! Are you willing to share the layout template you created?

    ReplyDelete
  3. so helpful for my media design project! thanks a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello my name's Bold-Erdene.D I''m Ulaanbaatar city, Mongolia
    i printing designed man "sorry I speak bad english" your blogs LIKE (Y)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello my name's Bold-Erdene.D I''m Ulaanbaatar city, Mongolia
    i printing designed man "sorry I speak bad english" your blogs LIKE (Y)

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot! Came to your site from google as I research publication layout for my personal project. Your grid system will surely save me a huge amount of time. :D

    ReplyDelete