After researching the binding methods for coptic binding, I decided to create a mock up of my book to see how the pagination worked and how neatly it can be put together.
I decided to use double sided tape opposed to stitching as I felt seamless binding would be more fitting and appropriate for the final product and aesthetics.
Each double page spread was printed out individually, and not double sided. Each page was then folded in half accurately in order to keep the pages lined up neatly and tightly for the spine.
Double sided tape here shows the process taken per page.
The left hand side of the introduction page was stuck to the right hand side of the previous page in order for seamless binding and for the pages to open totally flat.
The process was continued until all pages were stuck together, however i found it difficult to align all the pages exactly. I feel this is due to the technique and the stock used; a thicker stock would be more apt for this type of binding and will be something I change for the final production of the book.
Checks carried out to make sure pagination is correct and that the pages open correctly and flatly.
View of how the two pages have been bound.
Spine using coptic binding techniques.
A font and back cover was wrapped around the mock up to show how a potential cover would look.
Overall I was happy with the mock up. I decided that I would try and make another book using the same binding technique with 160gsm stock and a mount board front and back for stability. The pages open very well and as planned however feel a bit flimsy, so I feel a hardback cover would enable stability and security for the pages inside.
- - - -
I cut an A4 piece of mount board in half, and covered each side with the front and back cover. I was much happier with the quality of the cover and it felt more secure and durable. The white mount board will also be covered, and then when the contents are bound together, the front and back will be attached accordingly.
Once bound the pages formed a solid spine and felt like a true publication. Not all of the pages are perfectly aligned, however not so much that it is noticeable. This is the only fault with this binding process I came across, however printing onto thicker stock definitely improved the overall look and appearance of the book.
Inside the book.
Hardback cover coptic bound on the left, and soft back mock up on the right.
Overall I was happy with the final book produced and would use the method again. It is a very easy and cheap binding process, however it is quite lengthy in terms of time.