Wednesday, 13 November 2013

CONTACT LIST DEVELOPMENT

I sketched basic idea developments before digitally designing my contact list.


I opened a document in illustrator, in A4 landscape format. 

I divided the page into 4 columns, all for 7.25cm, allowing an even divide on pages when folded in a concertina side.


The typefaces used, were Baskerville regular and italic, as well as Abril Fatface as noted, mentioned and included in my other design work for this module.

I used a grid system behind the layout to ensure that the body copy and headers were al aligned when appropriate.


I decided to do have the contact list, consisting of 3 different headers, Online Print Services, Paper Stockists and Printers.


Each sub-headers for printers, stockists etc has been italicised. This shows more emphasis on the title of the company opposed to the website and contact number listed underneath.



Margins were added to ensure that the type isn't printed too far to the edge of the paper, allowing some padding for when printed.


I began experimenting with adding shape and pattern, with line detail which potentially could be foiled. I didn't like the aesthetic of this and didn't feel it would be suitable for a female audience. I then decided to experiment with half tone roses, which looks more feminine aesthetically and fits more.




When test printed it became apparent that I had placed the type on the right hand side opposed to the left hand side to when printed double sided, and folded, the contacts were in a different place to originally planned and designed.

This was printed on white and purple stock before deciding on a deep magenta instead as the type and imagery 'popped' more.



I decided to go against the magenta stock after a discussion with lorraine. I wanted the info-pack to remain subtly feminine, and using magenta stock, falls into a girly stereotype, which is something I am aiming for, but not so starkly. 

When placed next to the other design mock-ups and prototypes so far which are white stock, black type and gold foil, it stands out drastically and doesn't fit aesthetically.

At this stage of the design process, I decided to change the stock as well as the stock for all future designs to clean, crisp, silk white card.

I feel this looks overtly feminine with the rounded, cursive, serif fonts chosen, as well as the layout, and gold foiling. I feel a chosen colour palette and stock choices will also bring the pack together more so than my original final idea to have various stocks for various components in order to be girly.

I realised that I did not have to use pink or other stereotypes to do this, and femininity can be achieved through layout, type, grid, body copy, structure, format, stock and binding. 

From this point, I looked at the design of the contact list again.


Above is further development of the pattern which I decided to change. Being printed on white stock, I wanted to continue the aesthetics by foiling the headers, as well as the diamond pattern. I want this to be on one side, so on the reverse is die-cut triangles which will be seen as cut-through design elements. I think this would be a more fitting pattern/print to add detail, as well we being on trend and feminine with print and colour.



Here I resized the diamonds and placed them on the inside of the booklet opposed to the back. This was so the pattern is seen when stood up, when opened and the diamond die-cuts will be shown on the reverse against gold foiled headers. This will give a tonal pattern of different colour and cut out diamonds.




No comments:

Post a Comment