Friday, 29 November 2013

ISTD BRIEF SELECTION - MUTTON QUAD

Brief Selected:

Reasoning for Selection:

I selected this brief for the Print & Web module, because I feel I haven't worked much with type and this allows me to do so in a creative and conceptual manner. After working full time and part time in a restaurant for 5 years it would also be nice to design a menu I feel is exciting to look at, touch and interact with as an experience within the restaurant environment. I also feel this brief can be turned into a website relatively easy and can be mocked up for menus etc on mobile devices and tablets for example.

Initial Ideas & Thoughts:

My initial thoughts were about anatomy of type as this has always interested me, the editing of text, and the individual characters used within a typeface and their individual meanings. As this is a conceptual brief, I wanted to develop a strong concept which can be stretched across multi media platforms and be well designed and thought out.



As seen below I then began looking at the ampersand and how this can be used to tie to elements together like that of a meal. Examples of this can be seen below. I struggled after a while to think of words which can be associated together and have a 'ring' to them when said or read.


I began categorising the list shown above based on the ampersand, and added 'alcohol' to the list in brackets for 'saints and sinners'. This lead me to look at brackets and their use within type.You can see above the meaning of a bracket. I found out through research that the correct term for the use of brackets is parenthesis. 

Use parentheses [ ( ) ] to include material that you want to de-emphasize or that wouldn't normally fit into the flow of your text but you want to include nonetheless. If the material within parentheses appears within a sentence, do not use a capital letter or period to punctuate that material, even if the material is itself a complete sentence. (A question mark or exclamation mark, however, might be appropriate and necessary.) If the material within your parentheses is written as a separate sentence (not included within another sentence), punctuate it as if it were a separate sentence.

I began to think about the term and how the content added in brackets is usually an after thought. I thought this was a great idea for a concept, as many different methods of parenthesis can be used - # * : P.S. , ( ) [ ] These could somehow be added to the branding to create an interactive, playful dining experience based around type and grammar.

Below is a short initial concept: 

No comments:

Post a Comment