Friday, 22 November 2013

PRINT FINISHES BOOKLET DEVELOPMENT & ISSUU



As shown on the design sheets above the format is A4 landscape. I set up an indesign document for the cards to these specifications and split the page up into 4 equal sections using the rulers. It is important to ensure that the dimensions are correct now, for when I set the design elements. If the elements aren't in the right place, the design and folding won't work when folded. 




I placed each finishing process title I want to use for these cards into layout in the top left corner, ensuring they were all in the same place using rulers. I feel as though the point size of the titles shown above are too big for the size of the individual 4 cards and may reduce this, if need be when applying body copy and further design content. 

I have collected my body copy and, when placed in the space given, it is very squashed and unreadable/legible due to the amount of research collected. 

At this stage I re thought my design idea, and thought of producing a 5/6 page booklet with descriptions and examples, as was to be shown on the cards, however with more space and room for physical examples where possible. The booklet will be designed to coincide with the print processes, inks & set up, stocks and folding & binding. These books will be bound together using perfect binding which I will put together myself, when they are all printed and finalised with designs and any additional elements.

I set up the document on indesign to the same dimensions and grid structure/layout as used for the other booklets which have been previously designed. 

Each title of the finishing process was placed in the same position as the other books, in the same font and point size. This was the same for body copy. 

I want these pages to be an interactive element of the overall book, with actual die-cuts, showing foiling through that, with an example of embossing and spot varnish, opposed to be being very instructional. These will be on a series of following pages, for a 'how to do' section.








These show the placement of body copy and titles for each section, showing that they all follow the same layout and structure. 



I rearranged the pages of the booklet at this stage because it was apparent the die-cut wouldn't allow to show through with the current layout. They need to be in a specific order: Die-Cut, Foiling, Varnishes, Embossing/Debossing.


Italics used for headers and sub headers shown above.


For the cover, I placed a similar title to the other booklets on the top left. Below this I wanted to draw a diamond made out of triangles, however questioned the relevance of drawing one as in-depth as below, due to it being foiled. For this reason, I decided to use the diamond shape which has been used throughout the pack for certain elements, varying in size creating a geometric pattern which can be die-cut on one page, and seen on the page behind it in foil.







Placement of pages and pattern for when die-cutting and foiling.



Introduction on cover in italics - quote, rather than a statement to give a brief summary.

- - - -


No comments:

Post a Comment