Tuesday, 26 November 2013

PRINT PROCESS - BOOKLET CONSTRUCTION

After experimenting with saddle stitching, I decided to print off my booklets with the designing element being completed. I attempted to print all of the booklets on 154gsm white silk stock, however, I had issues with printing. Using the laser printer, I found that it wouldn't print double sided due to the stock being very thick, causing paper jams, smudged ink and unusable print outs; all of these can be seen in my submission folder. I will use some of the spare prints for foiling experiments.

At this stage of the design process, I am not able to change the designs due to time, however I printed off the booklets on 90gm uncoated mink paper. I found this stock was much thinner and allowed double sided printing with the duplex laser printer. Using laser printing is important due to the foiling elements which have to be transferred using toner. By changing the stock and persevering with the printer I resolved the issue at hand.

I also found that this stock is much, much cheaper, allowing for much cheaper manufacturing and selling prices.

I printed off the booklets in a peach colour also, however felt it has too much of an orange tint, so I decided to keep these are spares for my development.




The pages were trimmed to size and collated in order, which also proved a challenge as being double sided. This problem was resolved by comparing the print outs to the indesign file. When printed I found one of the blank pages had not been printed in the second half, which means the pages in the second section are out by 1 page. It doesn't make aesthetic differences, however could confuse the reader. Unfortunately I do not have time to re print and re foil the booklet. This would be changed however for future prints, or if it was to go into production.



Titles foiled in Gold.




Platinum foil finish on illustration.



I used Saddle stitching for this booklet due to the size and weight. I also really liked the individual booklet alone, and felt it was easier to carry around and refer too when necessary by the reader, opposed to a 'book' which is what I originally stated I wanted to avoid.


Centre fold.


Platinum foiled illustration.




Centre fold.



Foiling Experiments with Spare Prints:

Spare prints were used to test colour regarding stock and foil. Images can be seen below, and the physical forms can be seen in my submission folder.







A paper jam in the laminator caused only half of the type to be foiled, as the paper had to be removed. This was due to placing more paper on either side as padding than needed. Another thing I learnt for the rest of he foiling in order to gain a smooth and easy finishing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment