Wednesday, 27 November 2013

SCREEN PRINTING GIFT BAGS & COLOUR TESTS

As the bags are bought, and pre shaped, I am unable to print digitally or foil as seen in the other elements of the info pack, hence why I have chosen screen printing. The bags are brown recycled paper bags, as seen in American supermarkets.

I wanted to experiment with black ink, and then a variety of bright colours as a gradient, so the pink won't be as predominant, whist still being subtle. I also thought this would add a quirkiness to the pack and add a pop of eye catching colour!


Above is the screen I used. An image was printed in black, leaving the type being white. I reduced the size by half to A5 to fit on the bag centrally and in proportion and used the photocopied image to expose the screen. It was exposed at 170 light units. 

I washed the screen down and let it dry before printing, whilst I prepared my inks.



Fluorescent pink acrylic, bottom, and acrylic binder, above.
2 spoons of binder to one pot of paint.


As seen on the black, the tone looks aged as if grey scale. This is because the image used to expose wasn't pure black, it was lighter in other areas due to variance of toner creating the above aged aesthetic  However on the printed bags, it didn't look out of place, but struggled to gain an even tone. This was solved with perseverance and re inking often.


The bag above, on the right, printed perfectly colour but wasn't in the centre so couldn't be used for the final piece. I really liked the gradient with the orange ink. The colour printed quite solidly here, due to more ink and more force with the squeegee.


Personally I prefer the coloured prints much better, as the contrast isn't so stark. It also leaves an usual printed aesthetic which I feel is quite feminine and fitting to the print pack. It also adds colour in a subtle way.









I tried pulling the squeegee three times to gain fuller coverage, but it overflowed the type (as seen above).



Addition of Cyan, creating pink and purple.
Test Prints.

If I was to re print the bags, (around 30 so I had a good selection for choice!) I would ensure the printed image is solid black, before exposing, to save time when printing and to avoid errors in mass printing.

No comments:

Post a Comment